Wednesday, October 30, 2013

50k Across the Prairie

 
The weeks leading up to the inaugural Prairie Spirit Fall Classic 50k/50miler were a whirlwind.  There was the Flat Rock 50k mud run in September, the Heartland 100 (my husband, Justin's, first 100 completion) and then the Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd (crewing and pacing for EPIC friend Zach Adams at his first 100 completion) in early October leading up to the event weekend at the end of October.

The race started with a quick out-n-back North into town before heading out to the trail on the South side of Ottawa.  All I can really say about this part is "Too Fast"!  After about 3 miles, the about 30 runner field was hitting the trail.  It was another 7 miles until Princeton and getting to see my girls for the first time since 3:30am. This part went fairly quickly, my pace was good and I felt good.  I arrived at Princeton, grabbed a couple gels, some water and some hugs…then back down the trail.

From there, it's about 6.5 miles to Richmond.  About halfway to Richmond, I realized I had not been drinking enough.  It was getting to be close to noon and now I couldn't get enough water and had nothing to fill my bottle with until I got to Richmond.  Overall, I was still doing well when I made it to Richmond.  Once there, I decided I was going to down a bunch of fluid!  I had something like 5 cups of soda, a couple cups of water, filled my water bottle and grabbed 2 gels, then headed out.  I believe Shawn Walters asked if I was doing okay, hmmm…wonder if he was a little concerned with the amount I was drinking??  I was, because usually, I shouldn't be able to drink that much in a race and not start to feel slogged down, and I wasn't feeling the least bit slogged!  Real food also wasn't sounding very good and didn’t think until after I was done that maybe I should have just grabbed a plain tortilla.  One of those live and learn moments, something to think about before the next one.

At this point, I slowed a bunch!  It was disheartening, because I just couldn't quite keep to the pace I needed to make my goal and each mile that I fell behind, I kept seeing that goal fading faster and faster.  Finally I made it back to Princeton and my family.  I made the decision on the way there that I was going to spend a little longer there, I was going to talk with Justin and Max (and whoever else might be there at the time), I was going to get plenty of hugs and kisses from my girls, then I would get fueled up to head out for the last 7 miles and the finish line that was calling my name.

Leaving out of Princeton, I worked out a plan to make the last bit more manageable.  I started with a .25 mile walk break, then ran the rest of the mile, then I wanted to run the entire next mile.  If the mile was fast enough, I'd reward myself with another .25 mile walk break, than repeat. It's a form of mind game to play on myself, something to break up the last bit.  I also talked with ?? for awhile during this point, although eventually he would move on ahead.  This plan would get me to the unmanned water station on the trail.  At that point, refuel, then, I decided to take to heart something I had heard Candi saying that she had told Zach at Pumpkin Holler Hunnerd the week before…who walks in a 5k?  So, at that point, no more walking for me!


Next thing I know, I'm heading out of the trees and ready to take the short climb into town and back to the finish line.  I remember watching the guy in front of me (I had talked with him for awhile coming out of Princeton) and thinking to myself, "turn, turn so I know where the finish line is".  To come into the finish line greeted by yells, bells, Sam Steele making the announcement, is an awesome experience.  I finished in 6:22:55.  I won't lie, it wasn't the time I had hoped for, but I have to keep it in perspective, it's still an hour faster than my previous best and I know I've got plenty of work to put in to continue to improve.  Rick Mayo from Mile 90 Photography was snapping finish line shots and Eric Steele came over to give me that coveted belt buckle!  I also got a congrats from the top woman finisher, Sandy Scott from Colorado, I had just met her that morning and she already felt like a long time friend.
Although this should be the end of the story, there's still a bit more to tell.  After grabbing a bite to eat (thanks for the delicious cheeseburger, it really hit the spot) and a change of clothes.  It was time to head back to Princeton.  First and most important, to see my girls!  They were such troopers, having left the house at 3:30am to go work at the aid station all day.  They cheered runners and rung the bells.  It's so nice as a parent to hear different runners saying nice things about the girls all day.  Then, I started helping as other 50 mile runners started coming in on the trail to the finish line.  I had two good friends out on the course, Reina and Melissa, and couldn't wait to see how they were doing.  First came Reina and she was looking strong.  She grabbed some food, a shot of bourbon while we refilled her water, than she was off again.  Shortly after, I see Melissa and Kodi coming down the road.  Kodi would be trading out pacing duties with Melissa's older son, Ryan, at this point and it was up to him to get her to the finish line. It feels like cheering on the sisters I never had.

Next step was to load up and get back to the finish line.  I've read Melissa's race report, and I agree, Libby is such a huge help!  During the wait at the finish line, she did so much to help with the girls that allowed me to talk to some other runners and just to rest!  She got them food, she got their coats when it cooled off some, she let them maul on her to give them something to do other than maul on me.  She was amazing! During this time, 50 mile finishers keep filtering in and after being at the Princeton aid station, Libby and I kind of know the order and have a good idea when Reina should be the next finisher.  A couple other volunteers are going out to the trail and watching to let everyone know when the next runner is getting close, and sure enough, right on track is Reina.  Shortly after and in under 12 hours comes Melissa.  An amazing finish to an amazing day spent with a group of ultra runners that I consider family.

There is one last important part of this story…the drive home.  After a long day of volunteering with my husband at the Princeton aid station, our twins, Alexis and Paige, were still wired even though they had been up for 15 hours.  I had thought they would fall asleep, but to no avail.  During the drive home, I was thinking about my venture into ultra running; why do I do this?  Why do I train for races spending hours and hours on my feet? Why do I push myself on race days?  Then I hear a voice from the backseat asking "Mommy, when I get older, will I get to run races with you?"…and yes, that makes everything so right and that's the reason I do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment